Outplacement Executive Coaching
Action is the foundational key to all success.To better understand what Outplacement Coaching is, we must first look at the difference between traditional outplacement services and executive outplacement coaching. Traditional outplacement may focus on the transactional aspects of targeting and landing your next job (resume writing, job database searches, company targeting, networking, etc.) We view outplacement executive coaching as much more than a transaction, its part of an intentional journey or unintentional transition. As a people development firm with deep human resources experience, we can certainly support individuals with the usual job-search components on the phone or web from re-writing resumes, optimizing Linked-in profiles, negotiating best compensation packages to related activities. However, with senior executives from Director to Board levels, we believe partnering with a dedicated master level coach to set goals, take a step back, assess and understand the executive’s fundamental Values, evaluate previous job experience against new career goals; build on strengths, close gaps on blind spots and develop a strategic plan, is most effective way to land a fulfilling, growth role.
– Pablo Picasso
What Does A Coach Provide?
- Our work is akin to sports coaching where we first clarify your goals and match you up with ‘best fit’ coach. The coach will provide assessments and tools to create awareness, build on strengths, target over-used strengths, and address any challenges head-on, methodically working with our Accountability Action Plan©. We also provide resources along the way to keep everything organized and moving forward. Another distinction is we do not judge nor “fix” people; instead, we develop people towards their next level, much like a sports coach does with top tier athletes, only with us, the context is career transition. For example, successful sports coaches like Robert Bowman, support powerful athletes like, Michael Phelps, to be the very best in class athletes. Bob does not swim for Michael, instead he partners with Michael to enable him to fine tune his skills to attain his Olympic or National gold medal goals. We work with clients in this same way, only the “context” is both professional and personal growth.
- We seek to first understand, what’s working? What has not? Where they want to go? and who they want to be as a leader at home and at work? We combine outplacement 1:1 coaching with targeted assessments, for greater insights.
- With so many career search tools available online, our clients are innately resourceful and have the knowledge to research transactional items on web. The value we bring is we focus on setting a strong foundation for an exciting career search, aligned with their purpose, values and career goals.
- And if our client isn’t sure with: what’s next? our coaching process, enables clarity, over time.
- Typically, outplacement packages are provided as part of a separation agreement, reserved for more senior leaders, usually from Director level to C-level. Depending on firm’s budget, we provide several options from: tele-coaching, web, live or hybrid options. It’s in everyone’s best interest to deliver results.
- After our clients land a new role, we leverage any remaining coaching time to, for example, create focused “quick hit” goals to ensure the leader fast-tracks results within first 180 days of employment.
- From time to time, we partner with more traditional outplacement vendors if the client is provided an option to work with both, as part of separation agreement where a monetary value for outplacement is provided.
- Our goal is to co-design the best possible support for anyone in career and life transition. A natural outcome of choosing a career more aligned with purpose & values, is an overall feeling of well-being & fulfillment at home & work. Usually, the exiting employee leaves with good will and gratitude towards their former employer and typically becomes a positive influencer, alumni, and advocate towards their former employer which typically cascades within the organization.
How Does The Process Work?
- The prospect client interviews with a Coach People Inc. representative to better understand: how this service works in order to determine which coach on Coach People Inc.’s team is a ‘best fit’ relative to unique needs.
- The client interviews up to 2 coaches for 30 minutes, to select their executive coach to further ensure “best fit.”
- Once a coach is selected, the coach conducts an initial Intake, done: live, via telephone, web or hybrid approach; depending on the terms of the executive 1:1 outplacement coaching package, supplemented by awareness building assessments.
- The client-coach begin the scheduled 1:1 executive coaching conversations. The length of the sessions depends on goals and type of coaching package. Results are directly tied to the client’s level of engagement.
What Kind of Topics Are Discussed?
The topics vary. Examples of common topics that surface during coaching sessions are:
- Changing careers (i.e. from a position in “IT” to “Sales;” or from “Consulting” to “Corporate;” or from “Corporate” to “Self-employed”)
- Changing Industries: (i.e. going from “Consulting” to the “Pharmaceutical” industry or from “Automotive” to “Self-Employment”)
- Changing Positions: (i.e. going from “Director” to “Vice-President”, from “Partner” to “CEO”, from “Consultant” to “Writer”)
- Changing Lifestyles: (i.e. from traveling 5 days a week to 10 days per month; from working a big city corporate office to working out of a home office or at a home office; from living in the country to a city, from leading a hectic unhealthy lifestyle to living a more balanced lifestyle.)
- Some already have excellent new opportunities lined up and use the outplacement executive coaching as their focused “success structure” to stay on track as they adapt to a new culture, role, location and/or organization. In this instance, the executive coach is used as: an objective, confidential “sounding board” and silent partner to ensure growth and results.
- Negotiate Salary and Benefits
- New Role Assimilation, define priorities, build a strategic plan to ensure success
- Some use a combination of any of the above plus add specific personal goals that may have been neglected & are now ready to focus on these. For example: attract a significant other, start a family, learn a new hobby, learn a new competency, learn from mistakes or build on strengths.
- Some don’t know where they want to be but know, for sure, they no longer want to do what they are currently doing. We support them in seeking clarity, brainstorming new options and creating an action plan with the intent of designing a “new life.”
What Are The Results?
Outplacement can be a rich opportunity to create personal awareness, discover new paths, learn from mistakes, explore all options, develop new skills, address blind spots, find a new job more aligned with values and desired goals; or assimilate into a new role and choose the best path forward. The goals differ with each individual, for some may be their “next level” role, others the same path or can be something entirely new. Only clients who have experienced or about to change employment status, can decide where they want to go to co-create the best roadmap and receive the best support each step of the way.
- Clarity on the direction to take personally and professionally. (Perspective)
- Clarity with core values and how to use core values to make important professional and life choices—including how to choose a work environment that’s “right fit” and respects these values.
- Clarity on what’s working and not working; and an action plan with SMART goals to implement with the coach’s support.
- Time with an experienced coach who has been through major changes and can understand, serve a confidential sounding board and provide with important feedback (straight talk) that accelerates growth.
- Uncover specific areas that need more of attention during the career transition.
- Dedicate time to explore barriers or blockages that may prevent forward moving progress; we address these proactively, early on.
- Time to work with a trusted and dedicated coach who is committed to the achievement of the participant’s visions, goals and ensure these fit with all parts of their life.
What's In It For My Company? Why Would They Want To Invest After I Leave?
- Because it’s the right thing to do and a good way to reward a loyal employee, especially if the separation has nothing to do with executive’s performance & was a necessary change as a result of say-a merger or reorganization.
- Employees are loyal to Culture (Values), not Strategy. It builds ‘good will’ with exiting and existing employees because they’ll continue to communicate with internal and external networks.
- Taking a wider view and treating exiting employees well, pays off in the long run and creates a stronger brand.
- When a company shows commitment to all its people, at any stage in the employment process: beginning, middle or end it also builds loyalty.
- With today’s social networks, the word gets out fast that the employer takes great care of all its employees and ushers them towards their next role—the net result is usually: trust, a positive cultural impact that attracts the best talent.
- Increased loyalty from clients, vendors, and community as well. Loyalty is circular, not linear.
- Often clients are well connected, may land future roles, and/or share an influential network, that can positively (or adversely) impact their former employer’s business or bottom line; makes sense to keep exiting employee a “good friend” of the business.
- A corporation may want to call, or rehire that exiting employee later as a consultant or even reconsider rehiring that employee; therefore investing in their growth, makes sense.
- op level, common: insights or themes from executive coach to ‘raise the bar’ on people development decisions and stay connected.
How Long Is The Process?
This depends on the allotted outplacement package, usually pre-paid by the company or the individual month to month credit card package and desired goal attainment. Many executives work with us for approximately 6–18 months. Typically, senior executives work with us longer.
Can I Continue Working With A Coach Afterwards?
Yes. Individuals can discuss this with a designated Coach People point person after an outplacement package is completed. We offer a variety of coaching services that can all be explored using the Corporate Coaching and Individual Coaching menu tabs. An extension package can be custom designed to continue working with their existing coach, or a new coach! With personal financial investments, we provide reasonable fee structures and accept major credit cards.
Coach People Inc.® is a, global, boutique leadership development firm with 20+ years of success working across industries and levels. We specialize in an array of: People-Talent Development Tools, Products and Consulting Services that produce measureable results using a “coach approach” when implementing solutions. A ‘Coach-Approach’ is a “leadership style” that’s “agile” in nature and works best with our current, fast paced environment. It’s effective across all 5 generations that are working together. It’s a unifying, level-setting style of leadership. Our method enables leaders and teams to get to partner together and get to the ‘heart of the matter’ quicker. Leaders provide clarity of: vision, inspire innovative ideas that turn into actionable goals. Accountability and rewards produce overall growth. Our methodology provides leaders with practical tools to create an intentional, positive, collaborative, and accountable culture that delivers focused results across: levels and functions. Leaders who utilize a “coach-approach” learn to shift mindsets depending on “context.” This approach is portable, can be applied anywhere and consistently creates fulfillment and growth personally and professionally. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.